Friday 18 February 2011

No Way A second post in 6 month? I'm really spoiling you Eh? Render test.

Okeys..    I did have serious intentions for this blog thing  so as I'm so busy ATM I thought that I am starting to have things  to post up in this thing...  First up A positive note to start (again)..


We did a rendering/lighting session in uni yesterday. A Subject I have been enjoying far more than I thought I should have.  Managing lots of tick boxes and sliders doesn't sound like the most artistic thing in the world but when it is all influencing the light/shadows/camera and how the surface materials behave it really can totally change the picture.  


The illumination is coming from the point lights I've got inside thelight bulbs (NOTE; UNTICK THE 'CASTS SHADOW' BOX FOR THE LIGHTBULB GEOMETRY, doesn't matter how transparent you make it, it still blocks the light! ) and yeah, they're emitting photons. I wacked up the iridescence , ambient and glow on the bulb geo but it wasn't bright enough. I guess because the model is so big.  I'm rendering in Mental ray with the whole GI/FG/AO shebang wacked up to 11.  31mins to render even on my workstation. I'd hate to think how long it would have taken the uni machines.  This time would not have been realistic if it were an animation, but I didn't set any limits to the renderspace and could have removed the stuff we didn't see, so I could have optimised more but I didn't think it would take that long. I'll be more careful next time


The shadows are slightly blue depthmaps.  With the filter on 3.  I'd set it higher if I re-did it though the shadow on the floor in the middle is far too heavy.  Tries raytraced shadows but thought these looked more convincing.

Anyone notice my Scarre (my heroine peeping through the port hole? :o) Can't really make her out now the pic is has been compressed for the web.  Laters.....

1 comment:

  1. Just to make sure; I didn't I didn't make the model, it was supplied by my lecturer who got it from another talented artist, whom I don't know. Model credit; unkown artist.

    ReplyDelete